TMBG.us - Discussion Forum : News
Subject Topic: The Else - New Album Leaked Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Random Whim
Raving Fan
Raving Fan

Posted: May 08 2007 at 11:32am | IP Logged Quote Random Whim

So TMBG's new album "The Else" is coming out on iTunes in a week. I wonder if it'll be the new DRM-free downloads Apple will soon be offering for EMI, or if it'll be standard iPod-only stuff (no thanks). It's also coming out on CD July 10th (what a long wait considering the album is compete).

And, while I would never condone it, even knowing we're all upright fans who would certainly buy the album in full as soon as reasonably possible...I have reason to believe the album has been leaked and is available for illegal download from your favorite dark-corner of the Internet.

Should I speak to anyone who has visited such a corner, I'll be sure to come back here and post my...er, their thoughts on the new album.

Cheers!
Back to Top View Random Whim's Profile Search for other posts by Random Whim Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

King Weed
Administrator
Administrator

Posted: June 07 2007 at 7:21pm | IP Logged Quote King Weed

I got hooked up 2 days before the release. I will be buying the CD version in July, so I have no shame.

I confess, I'll admit, I wasn't impressed.

On the first listen I thought, "What's happened to Them?" You see, with The Spine I had to push to listen enough to like the album. The EP was great. This seems to be the case even more with The Else, thought I don't know much about what's coming out on the bonus CD.

After listening a few times, I really like, in this order: The Mesopatamians, The Cap'm, Climbing the Walls, I'm Impressed, Contrecoup, and Withered Hope. Notice a pattern?

Sorry, Flansburgh, your groove just isn't jiving with me this time. I can tolerate Careful What You Pack, but I actually skip all the others. This is a horrible point to have come to for a TMBG fan such as myself. But I'm mature enough to realize I can be a fan and not love every song. It's just that up until now, I did. What did you guys think?

I've been trying to figure out what songs are the singles so I can request it on the radio. But TMBG has never been horribly radio friendly. I emailed one DJ, and he said he'd have to listed to the song again to decide if it was radio-worthy. I asked him which song. He said, "I don't remember, just that it wasn't stellar."

Edited by King Weed on June 07 2007 at 7:24pm

Random Whim
Raving Fan
Raving Fan

Posted: June 12 2007 at 8:50am | IP Logged Quote Random Whim

On my first few listens I hated all of the Flans songs. I liked the new Linnell stuff, but I found myself thinking "What happened to Flans?" But I kept listening. And I kept "not skipping". And you know what? I love most of the Flans songs now. With The Dark? "The Shadow Government? Take Out The Trash? I love them.....finally.
Back to Top View Random Whim's Profile Search for other posts by Random Whim Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

King Weed
Administrator
Administrator

Posted: June 13 2007 at 1:57pm | IP Logged Quote King Weed

<Hangs head> OK, I'll try to not skip them anymore.

It does make me realize how different of a fan I am now, though.  With my first few albums I listened to them over and over, and I can still sing along with each song in my sleep.  I have hardly even listened to Venue Songs, and it was only recently that I played The Spine enough to truly enjoy it.

Random Whim
Raving Fan
Raving Fan

Posted: June 18 2007 at 4:11pm | IP Logged Quote Random Whim

In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with being a classic fan. My ability to enjoy newer stuff comes and goes, but I can always pop in early-years stuff and enjoy. ALWAYS.

makebase
Raving Fan
Raving Fan

Posted: July 09 2007 at 8:40pm | IP Logged Quote makebase

I'll have to admit that on the first few listens, I liked mostly just the Linnell tracks, but the Flansy tracks have quite grown on me, especially "Take Out the Trash".  I can't think of any track that I'd skip over.  (It's been 13 years and I'm still skipping over "Extra Savoir-Fair".)  I really like the rock-opera feel of "With the Dark".

The thing I find a little put-off-ish is the more overt political tone of the album.  They should be able to write about whatever they want, but I'm less interested in Them as political pundits as I am in Them as musicians.

All in all, unsolicited propaganda aside, I still like the album a lot.  I'm looking forward to finally having a legal copy. ;)  The bonus disc looks promissing too.  Probably better than the "They Got Lost" disc.

Back to Top View makebase's Profile Search for other posts by makebase Visit makebase's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version